If you do not have the full riding attire, please see below for suitable clothing and footwear.
Riding hats are available to hire at Smugglers Riding School at a small cost of £1.50
Riding hats and equipment are available to purchase at Smugglers Equestrian Tack Shop.
Please ensure that your riding hat conforms to the current safety standards (PAS 015 1998 or 2011), VG1 01.040 (2014-12), ASTM F1163 (2004a or 04a onwards) and The BSI Kitemark or Inspec IC Mark or SEI mark (See table at bottom of page).
- Leggings, full length comfortable trousers (avoid jeans), boots or shoes with a small 1/2 inch heel. Wellies are acceptable as long as they have a 1/2 Inch heel. All weather clothing may be required i.e. raincoat
- Body protectors are advisable but are not compulsory
- No Vest tops (shoulders must be covered), shorts, 3/4 length trousers (legs must be covered), dresses and skirts.
- No Flip-flops, sandals, open toe shoes, heels higher than 1 inch or no heel at all i.e. No pumps, No trainers.
We advise that you don’t wear jewellery (any jewellery worn will be done so at your own risk).
Riding lessons continue in all weather conditions (at our discretion). Suitable clothing must be brought and worn as necessary.
No Umbrellas Allowed.
Although safety measures are put into force at Smugglers Riding School prior to the beginning of any activities, horse-riding is rated as a high-risk sport, and due to this fact we will not be held responsible for any injuries sustained whilst riding at this establishment.
On Arrival all Riders/Visitors must report to Reception situated at the bottom yard. No unauthorised individuals are to approach horses (unless supervised and authorised by a member of staff).
No Running, Shouting or Climbing allowed, No unauthorised access to barns.
Parents / Guardians / Care Assistants
Participants MUST be supervised at all times. Assistance may be required when participants are riding, we cannot guarantee lead rein assistance. Please ensure suitable footwear and attire is worn. Riders with special requirements may require further assistance.
To ensure safe and interactive sessions, the team here at Smugglers Riding School will provide the guidance, instruction and basic training to those who are unfamiliar with the assistance procedure we require, this enables us to provide the optimum care required for each individual rider.
When taking photographs of your children, please respect other parents wishes not to have their child photographed and/or videoed. We politely request that if you decide to share your photos on social media, they are of your own children only.
At Smugglers Equestrian Centre, we are committed to the safety and happiness of all our clients. If you are concerned about a child please talk to our designated Safeguarding and Welfare Officer. (Lydia on 07523 415519)
Payment & Booking
Bookings are taken via our online booking system, ECPro. All bookings must be made in advance and paid for in full at the time of booking to secure the session. Payment may be made by credit or debit card. There is no charge for paying by credit or debit card.
Smugglers Riding School reserves the right to change any instructor or horse / pony where necessary. Please note that ponies and instructors may be requested but not booked, as it is not possible to guarantee their availability, even though we do our utmost to accommodate your individual needs by providing continuity and consistency.
Please Note, lesson time includes mounting and dismounting.
Smugglers Riding School operates a 48 hour cancellation policy, lessons cancelled within 48 hours of your lesson time will be forfeited. No exceptions will be made for sudden illnesses or if you cancel due to change of instructor.
Lessons cancelled outside of the cancellation policy will be issued a refund in the form of a credit on your ECPro Account, credits on your account are non-refundable.
We cannot move or transfer any bookings cancelled within 48 hours. This is due to limited places being available. We restrict our numbers to keep our classes smaller to provide better quality lessons. In order to enable us to continue providing this service, please ensure you cancel any pre-booked lessons / activities (whenever possible) at your earliest convenience so we can offer the available slot to fellow riders.
We require a cancellation policy not only to keep our classes small, but also due to an increasing number of people cancelling group / private / semi-private lessons on the day or simply not turning up to a lesson or activity that has been booked.
As a business we find this unsustainable.
48 Hours Notice Must Be Given.
* Upon booking you are agreeing to all of our Terms and Conditions *
We reserve the right to revise our terms and conditions at any time without notice.
In order to keep you and us safe please note and adhere to the following.
PLEASE DO NOT TURN UP FOR YOUR LESSON IF YOU HAVE ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
- a high temperature
- a new, continuous cough
- a loss of, or change to, your sense of smell or taste
Upon your arrival, please note the following:
- Park towards the bottom of the yard on the red chippings by the white fencing, before the double gates.
- Make your way to the riding school barn at the bottom of the yard no more than 5 minutes before your lesson.
- Please use the hand sanitisers provided
- Should you need to speak to a member of staff in the office, please make sure you are wearing a mask.
- Hats are available to hire however we recommend you bring your own
- Wait outside the barn for your pony to be brought to you.
- Parents must be present to assist children
- Upon completion of your lesson please return your pony to a member of staff by the barn (tack and hats will then be sanitised) and leave promptly we kindly ask that you do not hang around the yard or visit any other barns etc
Face masks are strongly recommended & should always be worn when indoors.